Sunday, March 29, 2020

Department of Self-Centered Silver Linings: Publishing in the Time of COVID19

Pointillisme: blurry new leaves through the rain from Le Select in Montparnasse

Often enough, I've complained about the long long times some editors need to review submissions. I try to be empathic and understanding:  I know (I hope) they have rich and full lives, and that editing a poetry journal is very much a side hustle; I appreciate the devotion to poetry; I try not to be too put out when they can't manage a form email to notify me that they didn't want my poems. Quarantine / house arrest is having one unexpected benefit, though. Apparently, reading backed-up submissions is less aversive than housework. I have received several verdicts on batches of poems, much more swiftly than I had been led to expect. It's disorienting! It's confusing! It's really nice!! It doesn't hurt that there are some acceptances in there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment